BFSSC001 Basic Food Safety
|Basic Food Safety||Wed 29th Jun||Corporate (NGH), Warakurna Womens Cntr||Private||0900-1600||Details|
|Basic Food Safety||Tue 12th Jul (2 days)||Corporate (CDRC), TiTree AC||Private||0900-1600||Details|
|Basic Food Safety||Tue 26th Jul (2 days)||Corporate (CDRC), Atitjere||Private||0900-1600||Details|
Show less courses
Everyone who handles food in your business needs to know how to handle food safely. Before a new staff member starts work as a food handler, they should have the right skills and knowledge in food safety and basic food hygiene. This unaccredited training provides the participant with the skills and knowledge for basic food safety.
The application of course knowledge assists learners & industry meet compliance of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code and the NT Food Act 2004 and undertake work as a Food Handler within the NT, while providing a learning pathway for Food Handlers to the Food Handling Certificate Course (Level 1), as well as for Food Safety Supervisors to the Food Safety Supervisor Course (Level 2), both of which are nationally accredited courses
Participants must have the physical capacity to complete all practical demonstrations for the course, including being able to follow the Food Safety Program. Participants will also need oral and written communication skills to make an accurate verbal report to Food Safety Supervisors and complete a written temperature report.
This workplace course is delivered in one two (2) hour full face to face session, this is a minimum timeframe, duration may extend to ensure learners completion.
The course is conducted in English with training delivered face to face, either on site or at our training rooms, at a time to suit the facility or the majority of the participants. The course includes audio visual and written materials, and industry and individual participants are encouraged to include policies, procedures and documentation from their workplace, to better contextualise their learning.
Our educator assesses the participants application of skills and knowledge throughout the face to face session, through scenario, skill stations, written assessment and evacuation undertaken during the session, ie;
- Performance tasks
- Cross contamination control
- Temperature and time control
- Follow the directions of the Food Safety Program
- Documentation - The student must complete the following to the appropriate standard:
- Temperature checklist
- Theory assessment - A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.
The course may be delivered and assessed in a format supportive of the needs of ESL participants, and delivered in remote locations where workplace or other time restrictions preclude a single session attendance.
Students under 14 years of age must provide written permission to attend the course from their parent or guardian.
Alternately participants may choose to undertake the accredited Food Safety Supervisors course for a Nationally recognised outcome. For information on accredited training please contact our office or review our accredited courses.
- Food Handling Certificate Course (Level 1) - Food handlers prepare, handle or serve food as part of their job, and must comply with the requirements contained within the Food Act, Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code and the workplace Food Safety Program
- Food Safety Supervisor Course (Level 2) - Food Safety Supervisors must ensure food handlers comply with the requirements contained within the Food Act, Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code and the workplace Food Safety Program
Tutors and learning support:
Training is conducted in English and participants must possess functional written and spoken English skills. The course is delivered by local, qualified Tutors, who hold a current Police Clearance, understand the context of practice and embrace the principles of cultural safety in their teaching.
Fees are payable though the website or at our office by credit card (Visa/MC), cash or purchase order, and may be tax deductible to eligible students. Should the NT Government and industry bodies make Scholarships available, we will assist you to apply.
Click here to read the payment terms and conditions.
- Classes on campus or at your workplace, on schedule or after hours
- Class size is limited to a max of 10 participants - unless otherwise arranged
- Learning program integrated with the development or review of Emergency Plans is price on application
- Remote travel is additional to the course cost, and will be quoted on request
This course is designed for Food Handlers to comply with the requirements contained within the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. This course provides successful learners with the skills and knowledge required to handle food safely during the storage, preparation, display, service and disposal of food while following the predetermined procedures as outlined in a food safety program, and is suitable for the general public, students and corporate clients delivered in town or at remote locations, and can be tailored to suit your specific requirements .
The course has been developed to cover a broad range of food preparation areas and facilities as considered in the Australia Food Standards ANZ.
Participants in this course will learn how to effectively
- Apply Food Standards ANZ requirements
- Comply with legislation, industry standards, codes of practice and regulations
- Contribute to food safety planning
- Give clear directions to occupants and visitors
- Implement food storage & thermometer reading & reporting
- Follow cleaning, sanitising and personal hygiene directions
- Respond to food contamination signals and warnings
- Use reporting systems
- Wear required PPE
LLN support can be provided to participants, as well as additional face to face time with the trainer/assessor on request.